Unlike an MOT, a car service is not a legal requirement, however, it is highly advisable for you to invest in them every so often for safety and maintenance values. For some cars which only get used on a low mileage basis, they can go up to three years without being serviced, however for most cars it is a more regular necessity.
As a general rule of thumb, most cars need servicing every 10-12,000 miles, or every year, but for most cars, the manufacturer will state the time frame suitable between each service. New cars may be able to go up to three years without being serviced. If your car starts showing signs of needing to be serviced, it is highly important that you book your car in for a service with MCP as soon as possible. Some people choose to book in for their car servicing at MCP at the same time as their MOT test as this is generally a convenient time.
As well as the obvious benefit that your car is less likely to experience any major problems in the future, there are numerous other benefits to having your car serviced.
• A smoother running engine,
• increased fuel efficiency,
• more effective brakes and improved handling,
• the car will be more reliable, as issues are not left to become problems,
• it is more likely to retain its value for when you sell it on. If your car has a full service history, it can add thousands on to the value of the car. This is because any potential buyers will be more likely to buy when they can see that the car has been well looked after, and are more likely to trust that it is a good choice of purchase.